Motor Carrier Services Section

As provided by law, the Motor Carrier Services Section is responsible for the supervision and regulation of air, motor, and rail carriers. The Section is comprised of six areas of responsibility: Annual Reports, Auditing, Insurance, Railway Safety, Rates and Services, and Registration.

  • Annual Reports -  verifies that a motor carrier is still in business and that no changes have been made to the name or contact information. Also, includes a financial statement for rail carriers and some motor carriers.
  • Insurance - requires all intrastate motor carriers and air carriers of passengers or property to file and maintain proof of liability insurance. Brokers must file a surety bond.
  • Railway Safety - inspects railroad common carriers' track and equipment in Alabama for compliance with state and federal safety standards and monitors compliance with regulations for Railroad Workplace Safety. All accidents involving trains must be reported to this section within 24 hours.
  • Rates and Services - requires some motor carriers of property with household goods authority, non-charter motor carriers of passengers and rail carriers to file their rates and services with the Commission.
  • UCR Registration - issues UCR receipts to interstate and international companies. Registers for-hire commercial intrastate brokers, air carriers and motor carriers granted authority by the PSC as well as motor carriers, motor private carriers, brokers, and freight-forwarders granted US DOT numbers, FF, or MC numbers by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
  • Intra Registration